In preparation for Christmas and New Year’s Eve, Civinity, one of the largest building maintenance and engineering solutions group in the Baltics, invites you to think not only about home decor and gifts, but also about fire safety at home.
For smoke detectors to continue to work well in your home, you should check them at least once a year to make sure they are working properly. This can be done by pressing the test button on the smoke detector – if the detector is of good quality, an audible signal should sound. If this does not happen, make sure that the plastic protective labels have been removed from the smoke detector, that the detector is switched on and that its battery is not discharged. Remember that in every home, a smoke detector is recommended to be installed in every room where people sleep, as well as in hallways or common areas in front of bedrooms.
Use candles with care
To avoid a fire due to candles, follow a few simple steps that will significantly increase the safety of their use. Although many people throw away the instructions without reading them, pay attention to the burning time of the candle before using it. Before lighting candles, they must be placed firmly on a non-combustible surface, such as a metal candlestick. There must be a distance of at least 10 cm between two burning candles. Candles should not be lit near other heat sources – TVs, radiators, etc. When placing the candle in the intended place, make sure that there are no curtains, furniture, etc. next to it. A common mistake is to leave candles unattended, so they need to be completely extinguished before leaving the room.
Electrical appliances can also cause a fire – be sure to check them
Check all electrical garlands in use, especially those you have not used for years. Their wires may be mechanically damaged, the bulbs may be broken, or the switches may be damaged, which could cause a fire. Also, make sure that the electric garlands you have are designed for indoor or outdoor use. Indoor bulbs should not be used outdoors as the bulbs may not be able to withstand temperature fluctuations and humidity.
Close the windows and balcony doors
Fireworks that have become an attribute of the big holidays can’t always delight. While we admire pyrotechnic articles in the open air, there are times when fireworks spark through unopened windows or balconies. Sparks can often reach furniture or hanging curtains near windows or balconies and cause a fire. On New Year’s Eve, if you leave home, make sure the windows and balcony are completely closed.
Civinity recommends taking care of your health and property responsibly. It is important to understand that a fire can become uncontrollable in a matter of minutes and be life-threatening.